THE EMPOWERMENT PARTNERS OF THE CANNACLUB :
1. THE SCISSOR SISTERS
1. Yonela Mtshotwana joined The CannaClub as a volunteer cleaner in 2020. She was quickly identified as a highly inspirational and intelligent individual.
2. In line with The CannaClub’s social responsibility obligations, as reflected by the founding statements in the Constitution of The CannaClub, the Management Committee through it’s Co-Op Partners, APMS, and Green Herizon agreed to provide all necessary training to advance Yonela. Soon it was clear that she excels at processing, training and leadership.
3. Her own mission in life is to empower SBM’s (Single Black Moms). From the start she was acutely aware as a single black mother in South Africa herself, that more than 75 percent of SBM’s do not have a job, and are therefore some of the most vulnerable members of our society with regards to exploitation. In addition there are no opportunities currently for dynamic SBM’s from deprived communities, unless they create this themselves.
4. From the above The Scissor Sisters were born, as founded and owned by Yonela Mtshotwana, and assisted by The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op.
5. The Scissor Sisters was trained and empowered by APMS and Green Herizon, which are key partners of The CannaClub. The Management Committee continues with efforts to further develop The Scissor Sisters.
6. Since founding The Scissor Sisters and after having been CannaClub certified herself, Yonela has trained & certified more than 9 other Scissor Sisters from the local SBM community.
7. The Scissor Sisters have become the exclusive processing contractors for the cultivation partners (APMS & Green Herizon) of The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op Member’s Stokvel stock.
8. Yonela has received several certificates & awards, including an Award of Excellence from the Management committee of The CannaClub for the following:
- For consistently providing exclusive processing & packaging services of the finest quality organic outdoor Cannabis to the satisfaction of more than 1000 Members for more than 2 years.
- For her role in training & empowering additional Scissor Sisters.
9. In addition to providing subcontracting services, Yonela introduced a second Scissor Sister function, which is that of recruiting and placing of SBM’S. To this regard, she has managed to provide several volunteers for training. Two of these volunteers are currently being further developed : Asekhona & Aphiwe.
10. Asekhona joined the Cheeba House as a volunteer cleaner. She successfully provided cleaning & washing services for the Cheeba House, whereafter she was promoted to House keeper, where she now provides subcontracting services for housekeeping, which includes a daily rate as well as a 2.5% commission of overnight fees. The future plans for Asekhona is for her to train a new Scissor Sister, to replace her, and for her to move to the Club House, where she will be further empowered & developed.
11. Aphiwe joined the DankiPa Eco Estate as a cleaner that is available to all residents. She managed to obtain a full week’s subcontracting cleaning services with various local residents. We are excited to report that she was recently selected by our on-site traditional healer, Mr. Johan Roux, to be trained as a traditional healer’s assistant, which she currently does two days per week whilst being paid and trained by Mr. Johan Roux. The future plan is for her to do this on a full time base.
12. At this point in time, five Scissor Sisters have full time contracting services, due to the efforts of Yonela. The future plans for The Scissor Sisters are as follows :
(a) The Scissor Sisters will become involved in training & manufacturing of craft produce.
(b) Yonela has selected two highly trained & certified skilled processors which are Yonwaba, and Yonela 2 (who have more than 1 year of trimming, processing & packaging experience each, and which have both been certified by The CannaClub as skilled processors) to be the managers & trainers of her future projects in a joint venture agreement with them, which will be formalized in future. These Sisters currently earn a basic salary as well as a subcontractors fee on craft produce. Once they provide training services, they will receive a profit share of the courses they provide. The first trimming courses are due soon.
(c) The CannaClub & it’s partners APMS and Green Herizon, as well as TheDesignGuy through the CannaCademy will assist the Scissor Sisters in making their trimming & processing courses a reality. In addition Green Herizon plans to provide overnight sleeping quarters to visiting trainee Sisters at no charge to the Scissor Sisters in future.
(d) In terms of craft services, the Sisters must use what they have, and do not have the ability to cultivate their own produce or to have their own offset for craft products. They do however have the skills required, as well as the “skud” (trim wastings) from the subcontracts that they provide and which was donated to them. Therefore they intend to manufacture craft products and to establish Scissor Sister authorized representatives, as well as Scissor Sister authorized outlets, through The Insangu Development Corporation initiative, for the Scissor Sisters craft produce.
13. Finally Yonela wishes to transfer the Scissor Sisters model into all other areas with the intention to empower SBM’s and will do so without any royalties, provided that at least one Sister from an area is trained & certified by The Scissor Sisters, whereafter such an authorized Sister can train & certify others.
14. The management committee of The CannaClub will assist Yonela with obtaining a Drivers license, as well as with applications to the local and national government in terms of helping her to establish a mobile processing operation (7 seater van with some processing equipment is all that is required), which can also be used i.t.o. Transporting & placing of SBM candidates for other skills development/ training options, as already initiated by The Scissor Sisters, such as child minding, housekeeping, healers assistants
15. In addition to providing subcontracting services to The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op, The Scissor Sisters have managed to secure several other contracts with Members of The CannaClub, including the House of Rastafari Growers Co-Op. These contracts are completely for their own gain with no profit sharing towards any of the Co-Op partners.
2. HOUSE OF RASTAFARI GROWERS CO-OP
1. The House of Rastafari Growers Co-Op was established in 2020 by the local Bitou House of Rastafari, under the leadership of Ras Sebastian Ruben Andrews, the Chairperson of the Bitou : House of Rastafari, and as assisted by the local Cannabis community and the Members & Management Committee of The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op.
2. The goal of the House of Rastafari Growers Co-Op is to establish Black Growers, Black Owned Social Cannabis Clubs, and Black owned Processing Hubs, specifically on the Garden Route, and to economically transform these communities through this initiative.
3. The fact of the matter is that Rastafari have cultivated and used Cannabis medicinally, recreationally & spiritually over decades. It is therefore logical for them to also be economically active in this emerging sector.
4. The founders of The CannaClub, and the Management Committee of The CannaClub, have a long standing relationship with the House of Rastafari, and are committed to providing all assistance possible in ensuring that our Rastafarian brothers & sisters are included in the Cannabis sector. In fact it would be senseless not for them to play a major role, since they have the experience in cultivating, processing, as well as small scale sales of Cannabis.
5. The CannaClub has provided free education in many forms, but especially on Fridays, for Rastafarian Growers, since 2019. The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op sponsored a 50 plant grow patch in 2019 for the House ofRastafari : Bitou. Unfortunately this was destroyed by an SAPS raid on The CannaClub. 88 High value female strains were donated for 2020 to local Rastafarian growers. For the 2021 season, The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op through it’s partner APMS and EthnoGrow, managed to provide more than 200 high value female strains, which was distributed under the Rastafarian youth leaders of 5 different regions, representing the Southern Cape region (Stilbaai, Albertinia, Mossel Bay, Oudtshoorn, and George).
6. Due to the economic imbalances of the past, the House of Rastafari are still not in a position to be able to open up their own Social Cannabis Clubs under the current privacy bill, as they do not have the space/ facilities/ resources/ skills to be able to cultivate/ process/ and provide a clubhouse on the same premises. Therefore they will be forced into a model where there will be Club Houses that will act as authorized Club Houses, for and on behalf of The House of Rastafari Growers Co-Op which will act as offsite growers. The Management Committee of The CannaClub was tasked to request a 5 year slow transition option, from Grow One Africa, to be able to operate under their model (which allows for offsite growers) through a slow 5 year transition process, and are eagerly awaiting such possibilities, although we recognize that it is extremely difficult for Grow One Africa to provide such a model in the current uncertain legal environment.
7. For the above reason, Ras Sebastian Ruben Andrews has founded The Insangu Development Corporation, with the help of the Management Committee of The CannaClub. The aim of The Insangu Development Corporation is the establishment of authorized outlets/ clubs, for The House of Rastafari Growers Co-Op and it’s Joint Venture Partner - The Scissor Sisters.
8. During 2021, Ras Sebastian Ruben Andrews was selected to become a lecturer of Cheeba Africa and presented several courses relating to African traditional medicine & spiritualism.
3. THE INSANGU DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
1. What is the Insangu Development Corporation Initiative?
The Insangu Development Corporation Initiative is a rapid economic transformation initiative brought forward by leaders of the Rastafarian community as assisted by the Members & the Management Committee of The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op. This Initiative has been developed over the past 5 years and was founded and is managed by Ras Ruben Andrews (Chair person - Bitou House of Rastafari, Owner of The Insangu Development Corporation, Lecturer for Cheeba Cannabis Academy, and a founder Member of the House of Rastafari Growers Co-Op) in his personal & private capacity, as a vehicle for rapid transformation of both the Rastafarian community as well as the local township economies.
2. What are the goals of the Insangu Development Corporation Initiative?
The goals of the Insangu Development Corporation Initiative is to establish & develop Black owned Social Cannabis Clubs, Black Growers, and Black owned Regional Hubs in line with the National Cannabis Master Plan and for the Western Cape region of South Africa to act as a model region from where this model may be amended / expanded into other regions & areas. Especially the Rastafarian community can not be excluded from the rapid advancements in the Cannabis industry. They cannot be excluded from having Clubs and cultivation opportunities purely on the basis of not having the financial means to comply with existing models as have been the case in Apartheid South Africa. The Insangu Development Corporation Initiative is to ensure inclusion & rapid transformation of the Rastafarian community as well as the local township economies with regards to existing establishments in these communities which can act as Insangu Social Cannabis Clubs in a mutually inclusive agreement, such as that provided by The Insangu Development Corporation Initiative.
3. How does the Initiative plan to achieve these goals?
a. To define, setup, and place in operation a model and proof of concept project in Plettenberg Bay, Western Cape on the Garden Route. This will include small contract growers from the Rastafarian community with a minimum of 3 Insangu Social Cannabis Clubs, envisaged to open in Plettenberg Bay alone during 2022.
b. To align this model with existing models such as existing international standards (GAP - Good Agricultural Practices) , ENCOD based Clubs, or Clubs as based on various models which currently exist in South Africa such as those proposed by Fields of Green for All, Cradlestoned Quality Solutions and by Grow One Africa over a time period of say 5 years to allow inclusion for black entrepreneurs and farmers.
c. To rapidly expand this project by using the same model or improved version.
4. What are the short / medium term direct benefits for communities?
a. First off, existing growers can obtain small grow contracts from The Insangu Development Corporation. This contract is to grow a maximum of 2 plants per member as part of TIDC Members' Stokvel stock. Should a grower be successful, such a grower would be able to obtain a larger contract and in this manner be able to expand. It is worthy of noting that high value strains in both seeds and clones are donated by The CannaClub in support of this effort.
b. The local economy (Township economy) will benefit by having Insangu Private Social Clubs. The social aspects of such a club can not be underestimated, as well as the intrinsic value of keeping money in circulation in the township (Growers, Club Owners & Members).
c. Currently black growers and Club Owners are excluded from this emerging economy since they do not have the space, security, and in general the finances to conform to existing models. Communities like the House of Rastafari has been carrying the flag & spear for Cannabis for decades and they simply can not be excluded purely on the basis of historic imbalances once again excluding them.
d. Regional benefits. In line with the Government Master Plan and in conjunction with local government & municipalities, The Insangu Development Corporation intends to establish Regional Hubs where growers' products can be tested, classed, processed, dried, cured & packaged. The Insangu Development Corporation intends to approach Government and private sectors with regards to funding these once the concept has been proven as earlier mentioned. The Bitou Municipality is in negotiations with the Bitou: House of Rastafari, regarding this as a trial region.
e. National benefits. This model is intended to be expanded throughout South Africa and Africa.
4. PLANT PROJECTS
1. In line with the constitution of The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op, APMS as our primary cultivation partner, exclusively subcontracts all planting projects in The Garden with Weedin to an empowerment start up company.
2. In this regard APMS has trained David * and he is now the founder & owner of PLANT Projects which is the exclusive contractor for APMS planting projects, and he provides temporary skilled labourers as and when required.
Canna Tours is owned & operated by TheDesignGuy which is a start up company empowered by The CannaClub & it's partners, and has obtained the exclusive rights to provide guided tours at a 20% share towards The CannaClub's club fund, in the cultivation areas such as The Garden with Weedin, Cloning, Nursery, Aquaponic and Indoor areas.
6. JW ROUX
1. Mr JW Roux is a registered traditional healer and has more than 20 years of experience in utilizing Cannabis for especially sleep and pain management.
2. JW Roux functions as an independent partner of The CannaClub, and has his own practice, as well as counseling facilities at Unit on the DankiPa Eco Estate in Plettenberg Bay,
3. In addition Mr JW Roux has an empowerment agreement with The CannaClub, whereas The CannaClub has provided Mr JW Roux with a quota of up to 9 female plants in flowering. These plants will be cultivated by Mr. Roux for his medicinal purposes.
4. Mr JW Roux will use the Scissor Sisters for bulk processing.
5. Mr JW Roux will not provide any counseling services or products for testing to non CannaClub Members.
6. The Members will not pay for any Cannabis material, however an agreement is applicable for consultation and preparation of herbal products, as long as it does not include any cost towards Cannabis material, to the Members of The CannaClub.
7. Mr JW Roux must make agreements in terms of water and electricity usage if any electricity usage is applicable such as for cooking, cloning etc., to the satisfaction of all parties concerned (GRRcc and The CannaClub & Growers Co-Op Management committee)
8. The Club House refers all medicinal enquiries as they do not have the appropriate understanding, at no cost.
9. Mr JW Roux will not have Cannabis product brought onto the property from any other source.
7. NATURAL CRYSTAL
1. Natural Crystal was founded and is owned by Casandra van Pletzen in 2021.
2. Casandra joined The CannaClub as a volunteer in October 2021. She qualified as a Budtender, and as a Club House Manager.
3. She is currently a permanent alternate Club House Manager on behalf of Jackpot when Tian is off duty, and has an agreement with Jackpot regarding working hours, daily rates, as well as commission.
4. Casandra started Natural Crystal to create holistic personal craft produce from the "Skud" (waste trimmings) of The CannaClub. In this regard Green Herizon has committed to donating 10% of it's "Skud" to Natural Crystal as an empowerment action. In addition the Management committee, and the Media Partner has committed to helping her establish 4 such craft produce, under the Natural Crystal brand.
5. Furthermore since having discovered her unique artistic abilities, The CannaClub and the Media Partner has committed to helping her develop a minimum of 2 products which displays this art.
6. In terms of the CannaCademy, Natural Crystal will provide marketing, co-ordination & administrative facilities for the Workshops presented by experienced lecturers at the Cheeba Cannabis Cultivation Academy Plettenberg Bay @ 20% of the total booking fees.
7. GRRcc has agreed to train Casandra in terms of Wave accounting. VEND, and basic book keeping services to enable her to do all book keeping for Jackpot or any other SME (Small micro/medium Enterprise) in future.
1. EthnoGrow was founded and is owned by Phillip Erasmus. He gained notoriety as the cultivator/ breeder of the "Green Goblin" strain in the Klein Karoo area, which he still continues to improve.
2. EthnoGrow formalized a Joint Venture Partnership Agreement with Green Herizon to provide Greenhouse & Aquaponic cultivation on behalf of Green Herizon as previously described.
3. EthnoGrow formalized a subcontracting agreement with GRRCC whereas Phillip provides estate management services and project management on most week days.
4. EthnoGrow formalized a joint venture agreement with SamSon & Green Herizon in terms of bee keeping and distribution of honey
9. SAMSON : EMPOWERMENT & CONSULTATION SERVICES
1. SamSon Empowerment & Consultation Services provides aquaponic cultivation and self sustainability solutions with a focus on small scale aquaponic vegetable gardening & bee keeping
2. Samson Empowerment & Consultation Services was founded by Sam Hartman, and is managed by Sam and Yvonne.
3. Sam Hartman is a remarkable human being. At 70 years of age, and being a paraplegic, he still exclusively plays live music at Enrico's, which is a world renowned Italian restaurant in Plettenberg Bay, every day of the week during season that the weather permits. In addition he uses the off season to teach people about aquaponic cultivation and has been doing so for over 20 years - with a long history of community upliftment projects such as tyre gardens for numerous schools and hospitals. Yvonne herself is an avid gardener & cook. She also teaches a variety of things such as hand crafts, food preservation techniques & cheese making upon request.
4. The CannaClub is delighted to have formed a Joint Venture agreement with SamSon in 2021. The agreement is as follows:
a. SamSon will provide fish and knowledge. The fish will remain to be the property of SamSon. The CannaClub provides the upgrades and maintenance required to develop the aquaponic vegetable self sustainability gardens.
b.SamSon provides other equipment on loan to The CannaClub and will keep an extensive list of such loan equipment.
c. SamSon provided most of the initial bees & beehives as well as related equipment, which equipment and bees shall remain to be the property of SamSon unless otherwise agreed to.
d. In terms of produce, SamSon has the right to 50% of all honey produce harvested.
e. Phillip from EthnoGrow has been selected by Green Herizon and SamSon to provide the bee keeping services as trained by SamSon and empowered by Green Herizon i.t.o. equipment, materials, etc. Green Herizon and EthnoGrow shall share the income from the remainder of the honey equally. In terms of the vegetable produce JackPot will share any and all profits from Aquaponic vegetables with Samson. The exact sharing to be defined as the project develops & depending on the inputs of the parties involved.
f. The CannaClub will promote SamSon as preferred consultant with regards to all enquiries regarding Aquaponic vegetable gardening as well as bee keeping.
g. SamSon will instruct key CannaClub partners i.t.o. tyre gardening, fish and bee keeping as well as organic & sustainable cultivation methods during the off season.
h. The CannaClub will reproduce existing SamSon video footage into an educational trilingual YouTube series on our existing platforms.
5. Any party will have the right to cancel the agreements based on a three month notice period.
10. THE CANNACADEMY
1. The CannaClub will provide educational workshops from May 2022 with the blessing of Cheeba Africa.
2. The CannaClub formed a joint venture agreement with TheDesignGuy and Natural Crystal where TheDesignGuy will provide the social media platforms, management, and marketing directives for The CannaCademy. Natural Crystal will provide marketing on all social media platforms as well as candidate administration services.
3. The sharing of course fees will be as follows : 40% to the lecturer involved, 20% to The CannaClub’s club fund for the upgrades and maintenance, as well as the services required of the facilities utilized. A further 20% will go to Natural Crystal, and a final 20% to TheDesignGuy in relation to their contributions as already defined.
4. Any party will have the right to cancel the agreement based on a three month notice period.
11. THE MUNCH HUT
1. JackPot has negotiated with all the parties concerned, with regards to the development of a range of Club edibles, as well as to provide some basic meals to Members.
2. With regards to the meals, the following:
i. JackPot, The CannaClub, and the Trustees do not wish to compete with the existing two highly renowned restaurants in our street. Instead we would rather refer our students and visitors to these fine establishments and only provide a low cost basic fast food option.
ii. This fast food option is intended to be “Rooster koek” with some unique filling options.
iii. It is the intention to utilize one of The Scissor Sisters to provide the above in a further empowerment action.
3. With regards to Club edibles:
i. JackPot will provide the space, materials and upgrades as well as equipment to facilitate The Munch Hut in a food grade environment.
ii.The CannaClub, APMS, and Green Herizon is willing to donate “Skud” (waste trimmings) for free to The Munch Hut.
iii.The Munch Hut will make the edibles on-site and as per international standards i.t.o. strength, hygiene, practice, and packaging.
iv.A joint venture agreement will be established between JackPot and a new JackPot partner for the management of The Munch Hut. JackPot will be entitled to 30% of all profits from edibles, and will provide limited services (water & electricity) in addition to the space (rent) and upgrades already mentioned.
v.The new joint venture partner will train The Scissor Sister with regards to the fast food options. The fast food option will be financially backed by the Club fund and JackPot. The Club fund will sponsor the initial stock required to cook the fast foods, and JackPot will provide a basic salary as well as profit share incentives on the fast foods, and the juice of the day to The Scissor Sister in question.
vi.A candidate Esther Nel has been identified, and will be awarded a three month probation period once the upgrades have been concluded. If successful, she will be awarded with a 2 year management contract for the Munch Hut.
vii.Any party will have the right to cancel the agreement based on a three month notice period.